Monday, February 18, 2013

New Release! "The Wolf in the Neighborhood" by Phoenix Johnson



Brenda & Steve: Phoenix, welcome to our blog! We’re so excited you could join us for a chat. When did you first decide to submit your work to be published? Tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step.



Phoenix: Hi, Brenda and Steve, great to be here!

I hadn’t written anything for quite some time, so when I finally took it back up, I was quite shy. Thankfully, my dear friend Vampirique Dezire helped me gain confidence, as did you both, and it was only a few months later that Naughty Nights Press began. It seemed kind of obvious, to me at least, that I should at least give it a go.



Brenda & Steve: Please tell us a little about your new release The Wolf in the Neighborhood without giving too much of a spoiler away.



Phoenix: This one actually came to me one night as I was drifting off to sleep. The first scene started playing itself in my head, and before I fell asleep and lost the idea, I wrote a note to myself on my phone.

It’s about a young author in Manhattan, Krissy; it’s about her sexy new neighbor with a dark secret, Derek. Their instant attraction is what they both need to heal hearts heavy from past relationships. However, through in a violent ex from Krissy’s past and a paranormal twist for Derek, and it makes for, what I believe, to be quite an interesting read!



Brenda & Steve: Love the cover! Do you plan all your characters out before you start a story or do they develop as you write?


Phoenix: I definitely prefer being a pantser. I can plan them out, but I find that the story flows a lot easier when I just let it flow. I love the surprises the characters have in store for me, means that hopefully the reader will be just as surprised! 


Brenda & Steve: How much research do you do for your books? Have you found any cool tidbits in your research?


Phoenix: It varies from book to book. With The Wolf in the Neighborhood, I had a friend who helped me with the military information, as well as another friend who helped me with the medical information. With the second book, I had to do some of my own research regarding city and town names, (I also did this in the first one), and then in the final one, I had to research the park they go camping in, as well as information on the known locations of Grey Wolves. Turns out there currently aren’t any in the New York area, like I needed. However, there are discussions to reintroduce the Grey Wolf to the Adirondack National Park. It was with this in mind that I settled on Adirondack; after all, for all we know, Wolf Smitten is set a few years in the future when there is an established pack in the forest. The freedom of fiction.



Brenda & Steve: Do you write full time? What did you do before you became a writer or still do?


Phoenix: I really wish I was! Unfortunately, I’ve started studying towards a Bachelor’s Degree, almost one year in. This has kept my writing time fairly limited. Throw in a 3-almost-4 year old, and it makes for an interesting time. However, I’m considering taking the next study session down to only one unit to give my brain a little rest, and so I can hopefully at least finish my first novel-length, stand-alone book, Persephone, as well as finish my cowboy themed short and get a good chuck of my first attempt at a Vampire novel written. So many to write, so little time!


Brenda & Steve: Oh, we know so well about 'so little time' for writing! LOL Please give us a sneak peek at your future books. What’s on the horizon?


Phoenix: Well, I did just mention three, so I’ll stick with these three and the remaining Wolf Smitten novellas. Once Bitten Twice Shy and Leader of The Pack sees Krissy and Derek face some more trials, and I’m pleased to say that Mike, the door attendant from the first book does come back. I really hope that readers find justice in the rest of their story. Once Bitten is waiting to be edited, I can’t wait to get this baby out there!

Persephone takes a step back to my “reading roots”; that is, similar to books I have been reading since I was a teenager. No, it’s not YA; I was an advanced reader. It’s paranormal, with a little romance and a lot of heartbreak. The things I’ve had to put Persephone through to get her where she needs to be… Let’s just say I’ve shed more than a few tears while writing this one.

Jeannie’s Cowboys (working title) is a short story with the cowboy theme. Jeannie is the manager for a cowboy themed kids restaurant, like Chucky Cheese. Chris and Tyler are two of the ‘cowboy’ entertainers; Chris grew up in the small town, while dark and mysterious Tyler is a hot-shot lawyer from the city, tired of the crowds and needing a slower paced life. I think you might be able to guess what happens here… A return to the naughtier side of story-telling.

Finally, The Coven. Think Underworld, but a totally different story line. I want The Coven to have the film noir feel to it, however. Arabella is the long lost Matriach of a great Vampire coven. After her grandmother’s murder, she went in to hiding from her enemy and former lover, Baylock. However, he finds her and is determined to drag her back to claim her throne, with him by her side. This is still in early stages, but I’m excited to see just what happens.



Brenda & Steve: Oh, all three sound like delicious reads. What is your favorite genre to read and who is your favorite author?



Phoenix: Paranormal, hands down. Whether it has elements from other genres or not, doesn’t faze me. But I love the ‘weird and wonderful’ that is part of paranormal. Just magical. I have a couple favorite paranormal authors; hands down number one is Anne Bishop with her Black Jewels novels. I can read them in any order, understand perfectly where in the story I am and cry helplessly every single time. Love it. A close second, however, is my dear fellow Aussie, Kim Faulks. Fire and Ice, No Angel, her series’ are gritty, fast paced and addictive. Wonderful blend, and her take on paranormal creatures is fascinating. She doesn’t change the fundamental elements, yet her creatures are still unique to her. Fabulous!



Brenda & Steve: (Brenda) I read Kim's book Reclaimed. I loved it! Is there anything else you would like to tell the readers we have not touched on?



Phoenix: I was a little stumped on this… So I put the question out there on my Facebook page. Had a great answer: personal dreams. So sure, a few of my personal dreams. Well, there’s the usual; own our own house, have a few horses, happy, healthy and all that. But then I also want to travel. We both want to go to Japan, but I’d also love to visit the states to meet some of my wonderful author friends, and go to England to see Tintagel, and the Harry Potter site-seeing spots. Oh, and of course do the nerdy New Zealand visit to where they shot The Lord of The Rings. I’m a big time nerd!



Brenda & Steve: Where can the readers learn more about you and find your books on the web? 


Phoenix: I run my blog, The Naughty Pages of The Phoenix, where most Wednesdays you can read a hook from one of my many stories, finished or still in progress. I also have my own Web site. Both of these have direct links to buy The Wolf in the Neighborhood from Naughty Nights Press, though it is also available at AllRomance eBooks, Amazon and Smashwords. I’m also on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, and you can also request my authorgraph and even check out my AmazonAuthor Page.

Brenda & Steve: Phoenix, thank you for visiting with us this week. Readers, be sure to visit Phoenix's sites and follow her for updates on her future releases. Phoenix also provides book reviews on her blog. Find new authors and great books to read.



Currently #5 on NNP's Best Sellers List!


Book One in The Wolf Smitten Series

What do you do when your past comes back to haunt you?
Could a dark secret revealed by a new lover be something you could overlook just to have him?
What kind of secrets could you learn to live with for true love?

Krissy has a hunky new neighbor with a dark secret; Derek is a vet with an interesting past. They hit it off quickly but when Krissy’s abusive ex, James comes to town, Derek shows a side Krissy never could have guessed, but James refuses to give up.

Can Derek’s secret save them, or will James have his revenge?





Learn more about Naughty Nights Press on Manic Readers

 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you both again for having me here, I do so love getting out and about now that I have something to brag about! I hope your readers enjoy reading this interview as much as I had fun getting the answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoenix! Thank you again for visiting with us this week. Congrats on your new release and your sales! ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys!! Had to pop in for a bit to say hi! It's been way too long since I've ventured out but in a month, I'll have more time for that! Phoenix, congrats on the series - I hope readers are grabbing onto those hot reads! Great interview, but these two know how to do that! Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's cool so you also provide the event management services
    We are the leading supplier of finest coffee among all cafes in Dubai
    burun estetigi

    ReplyDelete