Sunday, December 4, 2011

Renee Vincent - Historical and Contemporary Romance Author

      We are very excited to feature Renee Vincent this week! Renee has just released her third book, The Fall of Rain, for the Emerald Isle Trilogy. When Renee is not writing, she is busy taking care of her family and farm in Kentucky. You can read more about Renee on her Author Bio page.

      Renee Vincent is an acclaimed author of Irish and Norse history. Her book Ræliksen won two awards by Love Romances Cafe: "Best Book Cover 2010" and "Best Historical 2010" and Mac Liam won the “5 Heart Sweetheart” Award from The Romance Studio. She also ventured into writing contemporary romance with Silent Partner which was released April 2010. 

      Renee was also one of the first Facebook friends/authors to feature Steve and I on her blog a year ago this month! We are grateful she helped promote our first book. Without further a do, let's welcome Renee this week to our blog.


Brenda & Steve: Renee, welcome to our blog and new place for author interviews! When did you start writing historical romance?

Renee: As a child, I’d always had the dream of being a writer someday. After taking an English Lit class in high school with one of the best teachers around (and reading about The Iliad and The Odyssey, Beowulf and Grendel, Romeo and Juliet, Wuthering Heights etc.) my interest in devoted warrior heroes, particularly the Vikings, grew along with my desire to write the next greatest love story.

I remember reading my first historical romance (given to me by my mother-in-law) and of course, it was a Viking/Irish romance. I’ll admit, the cover caught my attention with a dark-haired buxom Irish lass draped within the strong arms of a tall blond Viking. Anyway, I read it and, given my passion for the men of the North, I knew from that moment on, I wanted to write historical romance featuring the bold, brazen warriors of the Viking Age.

Brenda & Steve: Where do you draw your inspiration from?

Renee: My goodness, lots of things. Sometimes it’s a song that helps me to create that perfect scene in my head. Other times, it might be a place that strikes a chord within me.


I often go horseback riding and, during those wonderful quiet moments as I sit atop the saddle, I get to take in nature. As a writer, I key in to the sounds, the smells, and the way the sun comes through the trees and highlights certain otherwise mundane objects. I can pretty well find inspiration in just about anything. 

Brenda & Steve: Tell us a little bit about your new release The Fall of Rain from the Emerald Isle Trilogy.

Renee: It’s the final book of the trilogy, a story that is so dear to my heart. The first two books, Ræliksen and Mac Liam, carry the reader along a twist-filled journey of a love triangle between two very different heroes who love the same woman. The Fall of Rain is a beautiful tale of reincarnation that will bring the reader full circle, adding a much-needed closure for the characters involved.


Here's the blurb:
Leif Dæganssen, an archeologist from Norway, is determined to trace back his Scandinavian roots as far as the Dark Ages and find proof of their existence on the Emerald Isle. After several years of living off the west coast of Ireland, he finally uncovers an ancient artifact—an intricately decorated chest with pagan carvings—buried beneath the very porch of his coastal cottage. Knowing it only confirms the presence of a glorified Norse-influenced settlement on Inis Mór, he’s determined to establish a link between himself and those who once inhabited the rugged isle. 

For as long as she can remember, Lorraine O’Connor has had dreams of a Norse warrior kissing her. And even though she’s never fully understood the reason for her vivid subconscious imagination, she welcomes the meaningless and wanton pleasure of being in a Viking’s protective embrace—until the day she meets that brazen Northman on an impulsive vacation trip to Ireland. 

Though blindsided by the relevance of her dreams and the strange familiarity of the man within them, Lorraine can’t help but feel a deep-seated intimacy toward Leif. And the more she gets to know him, the more she’s convinced they’ve shared a life together in a time long forgotten. 

Are the clues to their ancestral past hidden within the contents of the chest or buried deep within their hearts?

Reviews and awards for Emerald Isle Trilogy

Ræliksen
*Winner of two categories by Love Romances Café
“Best Book Cover 2010”
“Best Historical 2010”

“This book and author earn my highest recommendations and I feel privileged to have read one of the best. It is a must read for any lover of historical romance or even lovers of romance in general.”
~ 5 Stars TOP PICK ~ Night Owl Reviews

“…this story is realistic, historically accurate and unforgettable; a story you will remember long after the last page is read.”
~ 5 Blue Ribbons! ~ Romance Junkies


Mac Liam
*Winner of the “5 Heart Sweetheart” Award
from The Romance Studio

“It comes alive and winds its way into your heart. This is a must-read for anyone who enjoys historical romance and I cannot wait to read the final book of the trilogy as this story has stayed with me days after I read the last word.”
~ 5 Hearts ~ The Romance Studio

“I will admit to being skeptical that this story would capture me as much as the first had, but I was blown away by the awesomeness that is Mac Liam. Ms. Vincent surpassed all of my expectations with her impressive writing abilities, while offering more incites and revelations that will keep readers coming back for more.”
~ 5 Stars TOP PICK ~ Night Owl Reviews

“The steadfast, true love Ms. Vincent creates in Mac Liam takes one’s breath away.
A memorable, satisfying story!”
~ 4.5 Books ~ Long And Short Reviews

Brenda & Steve: Wow, congratulations on the awards and great reviews! Do you plan to write more installments for this trilogy and if so how many?

Renee: I’ve gotten many requests for stories about other characters who are introduced throughout the trilogy. One in particular, is Gustaf, the eldest brother of Dægan Ræliksen, and his new found love, Æsa. Their story will be told in the upcoming December 2012 release, The Temperate Warrior, which will begin the Warrior Saga Series. I have hopes of writing two other books in this series, but the heroes have yet to be determined.

Brenda & Steve: You added Contemporary Romance to your writer’s resume. What inspired you to write Silent Partner?

Renee: It was the morning after I signed my three-book contract with Turquoise Morning Press in 2010. During the long drive from Indiana to Kentucky, I plotted the whole thing out in my head. I pitched it to my publisher a few weeks later and bam! I signed another contract for it. It was my first attempt at a contemporary and I’ve been very pleased with the feedback from romance readers and reviewers.





Silent Partner Reviews

"Ms. Vincent’s writing has the unique ability of capturing both the reader’s heart and mind… I thoroughly enjoyed everything about this story and would love to see it become a movie. Another highly recommended read by Renee Vincent!"
~ "5 Star TOP PICK" ~ Night Owl Reviews

Her writing sparkles, and given this is the author’s first attempt at contemporary mainstream romance, she creates the right impact for settings, pace and conflict. Her balance of the self-absorbed hero meeting emotionally challenged heroine is stunning because of her research into the heroine’s background. This book is a keeper."
~ "LASR BEST BOOK" ~ Long And Short Reviews


Brenda & Steve: Who is your favorite character from one of your stories and why?

Renee: Hands down, Dægan Ræliksen. He is essentially my first born and the first man, aside from my husband, to keep me up at all hours of the night. He and I have spent many glorious hours together. *wink*

Brenda & Steve: If you get writer’s block when you’re writing, how do you get around it?

Renee: I walk away. It might be for days, or even weeks. But I don’t push the writing. If I force the words upon the paper, the readers will recognize it right away and I don’t want that kind of struggle to come out in my writing. In a good romance story, there is no room for writer inadequacies. I’d rather leave the conflicts to the hero and heroine.

Brenda & Steve: Where’s your favorite place to write?

Renee: On a daily basis, I have an office. But if I had the ability to go somewhere else and write, it would be in a little cottage in Ireland. I’d love to take a 4-month hiatus away from the world and write from one of the most beautiful places on the earth. A girl can dream right?

Brenda & Steve: Oh yes! I have always dreamed of visiting Ireland too. How do you get yourself in the mood to write?

Renee: A cup of coffee usually does it for me. Honestly, I’m always in the mood to write. Sometimes, that gets in the way of normal day-to-day life as I have these scenes in my head that won’t leave me alone until I write them down. If only I could write as fast as I conjure them up.

Brenda & Steve: I think most authors keep the coffee brewing all day. LOL What genres do you enjoy reading and who is your favorite author?

Renee: I LOVE historical romances (Viking and Highlander), but on occasion, I’ll pick up a contemporary. My favorite authors are Margaret Ethridge, Kimberly Killion, Nora Roberts, Johanna Lindsey, Elizabeth Lowell, Donna MacMeans, Lori Foster….the list goes on.

Brenda & Steve: What was your ideal career when you were a child?

Renee: Author. That’s all I ever wanted.

Brenda & Steve: What’s the best writing tip you’ve ever received and/or given?

Renee: This was from my father, though he said it to encompass everything in my life: You can’t do everything. But you can anything with God.

Brenda & Steve: NASA has found a new star in our solar system. They held an essay contest and the winner gets to name the star. You won! What would you name the star?

Renee: Love this question as I’m a big fan of the constellations. My favorites are Orion and Cassiopeia. Given that I often look up to the sky when I talk with my sister (who passed in 2005), it would be the coolest to actually have something to “see” when I gaze into the night sky. Its name would be LINDSEY.

Brenda & Steve: I read about your sister on you BIO. That would be a very appropriate name for a star, Renee! Which would be your choice for a romantic evening: dinner and then a stroll on the beach in the moonlight or a movie, popcorn, cuddling on the sofa? If you have something else in mind please share!

Renee: Dinner and the beach in the moonlight. I love beaches. Always have. My bedroom wall (as a teen) used to be plastered with photo of beaches from magazines, photo books, and photos of past vacations. No one could see the color of the wall behind them. It drove my mother crazy. And the moonlit walk because I love the ambiance that a full moon creates. There’s just something so romantic about moonlight, no matter where you are.


Brenda & Steve: Thank you again for stopping by our blog this week. Readers, Renee has agreed to give a book from her back list - choice of book - to one lucky commenter through random draw. Just leave a comment, your email address (please leave your email - helps us contact the winner) and be sure to visit Renee's web sites below. Comments open from Dec 5 through Dec 9, drawing Dec 10.


Facebook
Facebook Fan page
Twitter

Renee Vincent
Past the Print
Deep in the Heart Romance
Nice N' Naughty
Goodreads

Purchase links:
Amazon
Coffee Time Romance Bookstore
All Romance
Barnes & Noble



32 comments:

  1. Hi Renee, love it when we learn more about our authors! I'm nearly finished with Silent Partner! Love the way you twisted the plot! *wink* I need to make time to finished those last few chapters! Review on Amazon when I finish! Muah!

    *waving at Brenda & Steve* Couldn't sleep last night so guess where I was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda and Steve for featuring me today! You were so very kind to have me here on your blog and I'm honored by this great interview. I loved the questions.

    Thank you for the wonderful introduction you gave me. It's hard to believe it's been a whole year since I first featured your book on my site. Thank you again for reciprocating the love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big smiles here, Tonya! Thank you for picking up Silent Partner and for posting a review. I can't wait to read your thoughts on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blurb and interview. Renee is a new author for me. Can't wait to read her books.

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renne you are truly an inspiration to us all. keep up the great work.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to meet you Joanne! And thank you for taking the time to visit with me and read this interview. I'm so glad to pick up a new romance reader and fan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww....thank you so much Liz! You are so kind and thoughtful! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee, wonderful interview. Congrats on finishing the trilogy and on all the awards. I have been reading my way through CH writers and you are on my TBR list. After reading the blurbs, I am excited to pick Raeliksen up. Good luck with sales on The Fall Of Rain

    ReplyDelete
  9. *squee* It is so great to see you here, Derek! And it is an honor for me to be on your TBR list! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Raeliksen. Thank you again for stopping by today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs, girl. I'm so happy for you and glad that I'll finally get my hands on The Fall of Rain. What an exicting day and so great to hear about the Warrior Saga series to come. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great (and interesting!) interview, Renee. I'm off to Amazon to pick up the Kindle version. However, the cover is sooooo beautiful, I may have to have that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Renee! I'm reading Raeliksen now and enjoying it very much. Congrats on your latest release. It's a ton of work to finish a trilogy. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great and thorough interview! The Emerald Isle Trilogy sounds right up my alley! I'm going to have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous interview!

    Renee, you totally made me squeal. There may have been a little chair dancing too.

    Thank you for the shout out, and for placing me in such good company. I'm a little giddy because you know I am a fan of yours too. I loved the first two books in this series, and being the contemporary junkie I am, I devoured Silent Partner.

    Congratulations on another release! Now Daegan and Breandan will have a little company on my Kindle. A girl doesn't want her hot Northmen and sexy Irish lads getting lonely, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great interview! I have never read her but I will look up some of the books now.

    Heather
    hjbmckenna@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waving, Renee. You know I have read Raeliksen and have your second story. I am wishing you the best of luck with yet another story in this trilogy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christina Oh girl, we have so much to catch up on. And between the two of us, a lot has taken place. We've got to get together. Thanks for visiting and showing your support!

    Suzanne You've made my day! I cannot wait for you to read this book. And thanks for the praise about the cover. It's my favorite cover to date! Glad to see someone else who likes it as much as I do. Happy reading!

    Pat Thanks for being here and for beginning the trilogy with Raeliksen. I do hope you enjoy it!

    Ana So glad to meet another new reader who likes the sound of my trilogy. You'll have to let me know what you think about it if you ever decide to pick it up! Happy reading!

    Margaret Hey girl! There's my favorite author!!! So great to see you pop in! Thanks for visiting...it has really made me super happy to have you here with me. And call me crazy, but I too have all my books on my kindle. I know....I'm the author and "bought" my books to go on my kindle. Can I claim that it's cause I didn't want Breandan and Daegan to get lonely too? haha

    Heather Great to meet you! Thank you so much for reading my interview and getting to know me. It's been such a pleasure being here and meeting new fans. Have a wonderful day, dear!

    Paisley I am so looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the last books of the trilogy. (Actually, I'm just anxious to get another GB pic in my inbox) Just joking darlin.
    haha
    Thank you for taking the time to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello everyone!
    Wow, Renee you do have many fans and this is only the first day! When I went up to grab your Amazon link last night The Fall of Rain was already there!!! Having your book published is always exciting whether its your first or 20th! Now there's a thought, 20 published books - I'll be in the lil chair dancing with Margaret. LOL Thanks all for stopping by and good luck in the drawing on Dec 10th. ~Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. From one coffee lover to another,

    I haven't read your books yet, but The Fall of Rain sounds wonderful. I love the blurb. You and me both on that Irish cottage! Your dad had excellent advice, Renee. The thought of you and your Lindsey Star is so beautiful that I feel teary-eyed. (I'm close to my sister).

    Based on the comments and reviews, I'd have to start with the first book in the trilogy. Please enter me in your contest. My email is:

    rebelatheart(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    Thanks for the contest.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha Thank you Brenda and Steve!!! So glad to be here and bring all these new romance fans to your door.

    It's hard to believe that I have four books out now...I suppose 20 books isn't too far away!

    Julie I'm lifting my coffee cup up for you now! Great to meet you!

    And your words were so sweet. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about my father and sister. Don't forget to tell your sister how much she means to you. Course, I'm sure you already do....

    Good luck in the giveaway and I hope when/if you begin the trilogy with Raeliksen, you'll enjoy it. All the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Renee, Brenda & Steve,

    Renee you know your one of my favorite people in the world. Your are and truly are a Ray of Sunshine. Everytime I saw you, you had a smile on that face and a kind world to say.

    I think a star named after Lindsay would be a great & wonderful way to honor your sister. I know she's proud of you. I just a very good acquaintance and I'm always proud when I see good reviews and good remarks said about you.

    Renee, Brenda & Steve are cool people also. Brenda after we talked via email I found him. After 17 years, I got my closure and in a way my revenge. I found him on face book and he really looks rough. The years have not been good to him. He admitted to me he's not a happy person. Because of that it has taken his youth from him. He's engage to be married and he told me he's not happy there. For he doesn't know what he wants. My point is he did give me an apology and those two little words meant more to me than I knew. That chapter in my life is closed and I'm looking forward to the future. I want to thank all my author friends who encourages me with your words.

    Thank you Renee for always being there to give me a little support Sunshine.

    Merry Christmas to all of you I wish you & your familes Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh crap forgot to put my name and email. lol

    Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. It would be very cool to name a star. I think you can actually do that - officially. I read it somewhere. Great interview.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, Little GB : ) Leave it to you to capture our hearts in such an unforgettable way with "The Emerald Isle Trilogy", and then tantalize our readers' imaginations with the promise of "The Warrior Saga Series"! What a dream weaver you are!

    Keep looking to the stars--I do. One of my favorite things to do is to sit on the front steps of my little house on a cool, starry night and gaze up at that indigo blanket of twinkling lights. Many times, I will take a mug of hot, fresh coffee with me to savor under the stars : )

    Best wishes for much happiness and great success. Love YA!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Popping in right quick before we watch a horror movie! Getting popcorn ready and glass of sweet ice tea.
    Thank you everyone for stopping by. Teresa I hope you enjoy the lil short read we sent. *wink*
    2 more days to go then the drawing for a winner! Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Teresa You know you are also a wonderful woman! I treasure those earrings you made for me and I wear them all the time! They go with so many of my outfits!

    Thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments here at this blog. You're the best!

    Marybelle Hmm...I'll have to look into that. Thanks for stopping by and reading my interview.

    Virginia Your words are always written with an amazing flare! Thank you for always being here for me and recommending my work to others. The next time you are sitting outside looking up to the stars with your coffee, know that I am with you. (You KNOW if I could actually be there drinking coffee with you I would!) Merry Christmas GB sistah!

    Brenda How was that horror flick?

    ReplyDelete
  27. A great interview, Renee! We have so much in common! I am so excited for the release of The Fall of Rain. I just can't wait to add the third to my autographed collection - which, is the only set of paperback books I am bringing with me when I move next week. The rest will find themselves in storage. lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awww...Melissa, you are a doll! I am so flattered and honored that my books are the ones you keep close to you. For an author, that is big time awesome! Thank you so much for dropping by! And Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Drum Roll......The winner is Suzanne Barrett! Suzanne, Renee will be contacting you through email for your choice of her back list.

    Sorry for the delay in announcing the winner. Busy getting house ready for company during the holidays. Thank you again Renee for visiting our blog and readers you too!
    Happy Holidays everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations Suzanne!!!

    And thank you so much Brenda and Steve for this wonderful spotlight. Merry Christmas to you both!

    And I'd like to thank all the readers who came here last week! You guys are the best fans in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Readers, Suzanne has declined the winning prize. She has all of Renee's books and asked we draw another winner.
    Julie Robinson you won! Renee will be emailing you soon! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Really?!! Woohoo! I'll definitely start with the first one, Raeliksen. Thanks a bunch :-)

    ReplyDelete